Click the link for a quick tip: Recommended Sharing Option
There has been a change in how you share files and folders within Microsoft Office 365. It is very important that you understand how each option works before you share a document or a folder with others.
When you are in O365 and click Share, you’ll see these options:
Only people in Carroll County Public Schools with the link can view and edit
- The default is to create a link for staff and students in CCPS, type names or email addresses for those you want to share with editing rights.
- Click Send and an email will be sent with a link giving edit rights to the file.
- Caution!! Anyone getting this link will have edit rights to the file. This is true even if the specific person getting the link in an email forwards it to someone else in CCPS. So be aware of this.
- Anyone who receives the link and opens the file will see it in their Shared with Me.
- You as the owner will be able to see who has opened the file .
If you want to give view rights only to the file, click on the box that starts with Only people in Carroll ….
- Uncheck the box that says Allow editing, then Apply.
- If you have not added a recipient you will have the opportunity, then click Send. Caution!! Anyone getting this link will have view rights to the file, this is true even if the specific person getting the link in an email forwards it to someone else in CCPS.
- Recipients may not see the file in Shared with Me, they will receive an email with a link to the file. They can view the online version of the file, but must open the file in the desktop version of the application and go to File > Save As in order to make a copy, which can then be saved to their OneDrive or other drives on their system.
- If you want your file to be available for anyone, select Anyone and set a date when the link expires. By default, it is set to expire 1 year from the sharing date. You can’t extend it beyond 1 year from the current date. Select Apply.
- This is helpful when you want to provide view only access to anyone outside of CCPS.
- You will have the option to provide a name or an email address, copy the link to the file, or generate an Outlook message with the link.
- Anyone with the link can see the online version of the file, but can’t edit it.
People with existing access
- Use this option if someone who previously had access to the file cannot locate the link or find the file in the Shared with Me location.
- Enter their name or email address and an email will be sent to them with the link, or the file will appears in their Shared with me location.
Recommended Sharing Option
- Use this option if you want to provide access to your file to specific people in CCPS. This used to be the default in the previous sharing process.
- If you share with specific CCPS people, they will receive an email with a link to the file, and they will see the file in their Shared with Me folder.
- Click the box that says Allow editing if you want to grant that right to the recipient.
- Click Apply
- Enter the names or email addresses of those within CCPS who you want to share with.
- Click Send
Changing Sharing Rights
- If you want to remove or change sharing rights in Office 365, place a check to the left of the file in OneDrive and select Share.
- Next, click on the 3 little dots in the upper right corner of the Share window and click Manage Access.
- Click on the down arrow next to the person whose rights you want to change (top picture).
- Notice you can click the X next to the field with a link icon to remove rights to the file if it was shared with Anyone or Anyone in CCPS.
- Make your change and close the window (bottom picture).
Share with a Group of People at Once
- Click the Grant Access tab at the top of the Share window.