SmartSound is a subscription-based online music library that provides royalty free music to be used as background music to all staff and students of Carroll County Public Schools. Users can search or browse thousands of audio tracks, and then download specific tracks, smaller segments of a track, or even customize the length of the track needed to include in multimedia projects. If necessary, users have the rights to edit the downloaded music using any audio editing tool available to them to incorporate as background music in their projects. Staff and students may also access this site from home for work on school-based projects.
|Very important! Although the website provides an option for purchasing additional audio singles, albums, software, etc. to use with their tracks, you are not permitted to use the CCPS login found on this page for this purpose.|
Teachers, staff and students are required to follow the guidelines described below when using SmartSound. Please be sure you read and understand the terms before using this service.
You are not authorized to make copies of unsynchronized recordings containing music from SmartSound. (For example, you are not permitted to download SmartSound tracks and play them as stand-alone music, nor are you permitted to load tracks on a personal listening device or make music CDs. You are also not permitted to download and make copies of the tracks to distribute.)
Except (you are allowed to do the following):
a) as may be designated to a single computer workstation for the purpose of working with downloaded audio for audio/visual synchronization and
It is expressly understood that the Quicktracks Annual Subscription License is granted to any Carroll County Public school at any location for such school in the district and all such Carroll County schools shall have the right to use the Quicktracks Annual Subscription under the terms and conditions hereof.
Further documented clarification from the company states that: any media projects that use SmartSound music during a valid license term is a permanent-use license for that project, i.e. once in that project, the music can remain a part of that project forever. It (the downloaded music track) can’t be used for any other or new projects once the subscription is terminated.
Use Smartsound music as background music to set the mood or tone for staff, teacher or student created podcasts, videos or other multimedia projects.
1. Go to: http://www.smartsound.com/
2. Click on the red Account Login button in the upper right hand side of the page. Note: If you do not login, any downloaded tracks will include a voice saying “SmartSound” every few seconds.)
3. The email/username for CCPS is: ccpsaudio
4. Click on the password image below to reveal the current password – available with a CCPS email address only.
Note to Teachers: be sure your students know the current password if they will be accessing SmartSound at home.
|CLICK THE IMAGE FOR THE CURRENT PASSWORD – INTRANET ONLY
If you need additional help with the password, please check with your library media specialist or email Paula Sandridge at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Input the current password.
6. Once logged in, click on the link that says Royalty Free Music either at the top of the page, or you may start to browse the library using the categories listed at the bottom of the page.
8. After the search is complete, each track allows you to preview the selection, then you can click the red Customize button or click on the chevrons to customize and/or download your track.
9. Click the buttons to the right of the tracks to Pause or Play. Each selection offers the full length version of the track, and shorter versions. Once you decide the length of track you need, click on the red Download button. You will most likely want to select the mp3 file format to download.
*** Remember to download the mp3 version.
10. While using a CCPS-issued computer using Internet Explorer, select Save As in the popup window and browse your system to locate a location to save. If using another browser at home, the downloaded track may default to your Downloaded files location. It is good practice to set up a project folder before adding resources, making a folder within it to download the audio files.
11.To customize the track to get the exact length you need for your project, and select from other variations or moods of the music, use the QuickTrack feature! This option allows you to bypass the need to use other audio editing software! Tracks are available as Single Layer or Multi Layer. The example below shows a Single Layer track where you have the ability to select from several different variations.
12. Even more powerful is the Multi Layer tracks where you can further customize how the instruments in a track are mixed. A Single Layer track has one red bar, a Multi Layer track has 3 red bars.
|With a Multi Layer track, there is an additional capability where you can automatically control how the music instruments are mixed by clicking on the Instrument Mixes button. In the example below, the user selected a mix of Drums Only.|
|The new customized track can now be previewed, then downloaded to use in the project.|
13 .You now have an audio track or tracks to use in your project! If necessary, you are permitted to edit the audio track using any software you have license to use, or edit the audio using any built-in audio tools in applications, such as Movie Maker, Premiere Elements, etc..
12. Although not required for this subscription, it would be appreciated if you give proper citation to the service and the artist. For the examples below, NoodleTools Express (no login needed) was used to generate the citations, using General Audio Content category with an Audio Clip (Online). The APA example used the database option.
MLA Citation Example:
“A New Day.” Hypnotic Vibe. Composed by Chris O’Brien. SSI Music Publishing. SmartSound. Web. 2 Apr. 2014. <http://www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/Hypnotic+Vibe/A+New+Day/>.
APA Citation Example
O’Brien, C. (n.d.). A New Day [Audio file]. Retrieved from SmartSound database.
- Computer with speakers
- Internet Connection
Printable Handout – SmartSound Directions
Overview of SmartSound to use with Staff or Students – SmartSound Presentation
Permission granted to use SmartSound logo